Karl is a partner at BRS. He received his juris doctor degree at Loyola University Chicago School of Law and his undergraduate degree in criminology from The Ohio State University. He received both degrees with honors.
Karl became an attorney to represent the disenfranchised and marginalized in our society. During law school he interned with the Cook County State’s Attorney Office in Illinois where he began learning about the complex issues impacting the criminal justice system. He also volunteered his time to assist indigent clients of a Chicago non-profit in expunging or sealing their criminal records. In his final year of law school, Karl participated in Loyola University Chicago’s Community Law Center Clinic where he acted as guardian ad litem in child-custody cases.
After law school and the bar exam, Karl moved back to Ohio and established his own law firm. He obtained practical courtroom experience first by volunteering his time with the Montgomery County Public Defender’s Office and then by taking appointed cases in the Dayton Municipal Court for indigent criminal defendants.
Karl expanded his practice by joining a Columbus-area firm where he excelled at holding businesses, mortgage lenders, and banks accountable for illegal and unfair practices against consumers and debtors in a variety of state and federal litigation cases. Karl enjoys enforcing federal law on behalf of his “little guy” clients against big business.
Since founding BRS, Karl has focused his practice on offering sophisticated legal representation and guidance in the complex nexus of federal and state consumer protection statutes and regulations. He fights to extend the powerful protections those laws present to his clients in all areas of consumer law, debt defense, foreclosure defense, mortgage lending, and other complex civil litigation. Karl also accepts clients accused of misdemeanor, traffic, and felony drug offenses.
Karl is admitted to practice in all Ohio state courts and the United States District Court of the Southern District of Ohio.
When not working, Karl enjoys training for marathons, swimming, paint ball, disc golf, video games, and time with his adorable dog, Gus.
Areas Of Practice
- Consumer Protection
- Consumer Law
- Debt Defense
- Foreclosure Defense
- Mortgage Lending
- Civil Litigation
- Traffic Violations
- Drug Offenses
- Ohio, 2013
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2014
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctor cum laude – May, 2013
- Honors: CALI Award for Legal Writing for best performance in Legal Writing Section
- Honors: Legal Writing Tutor
- Law Review: Consumer Law Review, Staff Editor
- The Ohio State University – College of Arts and Sciences, Columbus, Ohio
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude – March, 2010
- Major: Criminology
- Minor: History
- Minor: Politics
- Minor: Society
- Minor: Law
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Ohio Bar Association, Member, 2013 – Present
- Columbus Bar Association, Member, 2016 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Richardson Law LLC, Columbus, OH, Managing Member, Attorney, 2015 – 2016
- Doucet & Associates, Co. L.P.A., Columbus, OH, Of Counsel Attorney, 2014 – 2015
- Self Employed – Private Practice, Dayton and Columbus, OH, Attorney, 2014 – 2015
- United Lex, Blue Ash, OH, Document Review Attorney, 2013 – 2014
- Montgomery County Public Defender, Dayton, OH, Volunteer Attorney, 2014 – Present
- Loyola Community Law Clinic, Chicago, IL, Student Clinician, 2013 – Present